A hundred yards from the top of the drive to Gheluvelt Chateau is an unassuming cul-de-sac.
No pilgrimage to the village would be complete without taking a stroll up it. For, at the end, is the focal point for many visitors – the Worcestershire Regiment memorial.
It has been in its current position since 1984, when the new owner of the cottage against which it used to stand asked for it to be removed.
On behalf of the Regiment, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission found its new home nearer the site of the battle, and adjacent to the South Wales Borderers 1914-18 War Memorial.
The memorial was the inspiration of a Mr George W. Jones, of Worcester, and it was erected at his own expense.
The cottage was owned by the Asile de Soldats Belges, a Belgian ex-servicemen's organisation, which assisted in the memorial being built.
According to Louis Scully's marvellous www.worcestershireregiment.com website, the original inscription contained the words "Fighting Gloriously against the unchivalrous foe".
After the Second World War, this was changed to read "against a determined foe", as there had never been any indication that the conduct of the Germans during the battle had been anything but correct.
For the full story, please visit www.worcestershireregiment.com